February 1, 2007

Senkyo (せんきょ)

It's election season in Japan. I don't remember when the actual election is. I think my host father said it would be next week. Anyhow, it's semi-impossible to ignore these guys. If they campaigned like this in America it would be called a disturbance of the piece. Basically they get some campaigners piled into a van whith a giant 4-direction megaphone bolted to the top. The apartment buildings are usually located around some kind of central location/square (or at least mine is). So, they park this van in the center of all these poorly insulated apartments and blast their campaign message, and it's not short. I basically have no choice but to listen to it because it is so loud it could be blaring from the speakers of the laptop I'm currently typing on and I'm on the 3rd floor. Just when you think it's over it starts again.