I can't imagine why you would want to. But, If you're going to Nihongo(why does that sound like a verb to me?), here are my recommendations:
YesJapan.com
If you wanted to learn Japanese by yourself this is, as far as I have seen, the #1 site for learning Japanese online. I love it. They have really nice and well organized lessons. They have audio files and even an online topics show in Japanese and English specially for people learning Japanese. Not only that, but it's FUNNY! If you're learning Japanese(and maybe even a little perverted) this site is an absolute must, even if only for the shows.
Essential Kanji
I Like this book. The Kanji in this book are arranged such that the compounds given to you are only composed of the Kanji which have previously appeared in the book. It is pocket-sized and very concise. With three compounds for each Kanji along with the English meaning, it even has the stroke order and contains all of the Joyo Kanji and then some.
Skype
Use Skype and maybe a website like mylangaugeexchange.com to find some speaking partners and you can talk to Japanese people for free over the Internet. It might surprise you how many people are actually doing it. I signed up and found a language exchange partner to meet with twice a week within a couple days.
Kanji Sono Mama Rakubiki Jiten(漢字そのまま楽引辞典)
Dictionary." I just bought this the other day, actually I bought it the first day I met my host family when they took me to Jusco. The name doesn't translate exactly, but it is something like "Easy to find as they Are Kanji". The reason it is "easy to find the kanji as they are" is because this is a Nintendo DS "game" which allows you to look up kanji by drawing them. It is entirely in Japanese and is meant for Japanese people and so doesn't contain the audio pronunciations of any Japanese words but it does contain a Japanese to English dictionary which is really, really convenient for looking up unknown kanji and by far beats any other method of looking up kanji I've found. But, stroke order does matter so you'll have to be able to guess that and be at least somewhat proficient in Japanese first before you can use this because the interface is in Japanese (not that it is that hard to figure out). Almost every foreign exchange student I know in Japan has this thing, and I myself have found it indispensable. If you already own a DS this is well worth the $35-40 you'll have to spend to buy it.
Manga & Reading
The only way to learn to read Japanese is well, to read Japanese. There really isn't that much more to say. There are definately at least two major obstacles keeping you from being literate. One is Kanji and the other is that in Manga and dialog there are always odd colloquialisms, slang, and expressions that are difficult to figure out unless you have a Japanese person to explain them to you. For example, in the first book of Doraemon a manga meant for elementary school students so the grammar should be relatively easy right? However, I was already confused by page 15 when Tobita-kun says to Jaiko: 「おまえなんか せったいに もらってやらないからな!!」The expression もらってやらない confused me because it is a fusion of two verbs もらう to recieve and やる to do. When put together this is an old expression which means to get married to someone. This isn't the kind of thing you can find in a dictionary. So if you're really going to learn Japanese you need some good Shonen Manga and a Japanese person you can ask when you run into things like that above because there are plently of them and dialects too.


